1. Collecting personal information
We collect personal information about you when you use the Site or our services and through any other interactions and communications we may have with you. We will generally collect personal information directly from you. This may include your contact details (such as name, address, email address, computer IP address) and some sensitive information about you. We may also collect personal information from third parties and publicly available sources of information, such as your social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or YouTube).
Personal information may also include sensitive information including information revealing your interest in various topics.
If someone other than you provides us with personal information about you that we did not ask for and we determine that we could have collected this information from you had we asked for it, we will notify you as soon as practicable. However, this notice will not be provided if doing so would be a breach of an obligation of confidence. If we could not have collected this personal information, we will lawfully de-identify or destroy that personal information.
We will only collect sensitive information revealing your race, ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade union memberships or details of health or disability if:
- you have given express consent to us to do so and the information is reasonably necessary for us to carry out our functions or activities;
- the use of this information is required or authorised under Australian law or a court or tribunal order; or
- the information is necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of a legal claim.
By providing this information, accessing this Site or otherwise using our services, you consent to the collection of your personal information, including sensitive information, in accordance with the above.
When you visit the Site the server may attach a "cookie" to your computer's memory. A “cookie” assists us to store information on how visitors to the Site use it and the pages that may be of most interest. This information may be used to provide users of your computer with information that we think may interest them. If you choose, you could be able to configure your computer so that it disables “cookies” or does not accept them.
3. Use and disclosure of information and direct marketing
We may use personal information we collect about you to:
- provide to you, maintain, improve and personalise the functions and services offered on the Site, and enhance your use of the Site and our services, including to provide or recommend features, content and advertisements; and
- assist us in running the Site, including using information for training purposes, systems development and testing, archiving, record keeping, product and service development, undertaking planning, research and statistical analysis, monitoring and analysing usage and activity trends and other operational and administrative tasks.
We may use personal information about you for the primary purpose of providing you with our services. We may also use it for other purposes for which you might reasonably expect us to use that information. We may also use personal information we collect about you to send you communications we think may be relevant or of interest to you, including information about our services, news, and events and new developments. You authorise us to contact you for this purpose.
4. Accuracy of your information
We take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information held by us is accurate, complete and up to date. If you believe that any of your personal information is inaccurate, please contact us and we will take reasonable steps to correct it.
5. Third Parties and your information
6. Transfer of Information Overseas
We may use third party service providers who may disclose your personal information to parties in foreign countries. By providing personal information to us you consent to this disclosure.
7. Your consent
8. Storage and security
We will use all reasonable endeavours to keep your personal information in a secure environment, however, this security cannot be guaranteed. Our procedures are designed to prevent your personal information being accessed by unauthorised personnel, lost or misused. If you reasonably believe that there has been unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal information please contact us (see below).
9. Variation and consent to variation
10. Access to information we hold about you
If you request access to the personal information we hold about you, we will respond to your request within a reasonable period of time and, where reasonable and practicable, give access to the information in the manner you request. This will be subject to any exemptions allowed under the Privacy Act. You may request this information by sending an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We may charge a reasonable fee for providing that information.
When contacting us, you have the option to either not identify yourself or to use a pseudonym. However, this will not apply if it is impracticable for us to communicate with you that way or if we are required or authorised under Australian law (or a court or tribunal order) to only deal with individuals who have identified themselves.